Persistent, Dedicated And Detail-Oriented

Guidance From A Board-Certified Custody Lawyer

One of the most critical roles in your life is being a parent. Whether you stay married or not, you will be a parent to your children for the rest of your life. Therefore, it is essential to know that you can have an experienced and compassionate lawyer on your side to build a custody and visitation plan. For over two decades, I have assisted people facing divorce protect their parental rights. At Law Office of Troy W. Klein, P.A., my goal is to make sure you are informed about your options and work with you to resolve issues surrounding custody and visitation with a minimum of conflict and stress.

Focused On Solutions For Your New Family Life

When I work on your case, I will provide insights from my decades of experience and advise you on potential custody and visitation arrangements. I will take the time to learn your expectations and craft solutions to protect your children’s best interests. If you cannot reach an agreement with your child’s other parent, the matter goes to court where a judge will draft an agreement based on state law. The court will draft a parenting plan based on several factors including:

  • The mental and physical health of each parent
  • The mental and physical health of each child
  • Educational needs of the children
  • The ability of each parent to provide safe housing
  • Any records of domestic violence

A family judge will also consider the children’s preferences and ties with their community, school and other factors of their social life.

Frequently Asked Questions About Custody And Visitation

At Law Office of Troy W. Klein, P.A., I know how many questions you may have for an experienced, board-certified custody lawyer. Please feel free to contact me for a consultation, or you can get started with the frequently asked questions listed below.

What factors does a Florida court consider when determining the best interests of the child for custody and visitation arrangements?

The court considers numerous relevant factors, including the mental and physical health of the parents and the child. They also look at the child’s special or educational needs, the safety of each parent’s living situation and any records of criminal activity or domestic violence.

How can I modify an existing custody or visitation order in Florida?

You have to petition the court for a modification. You may need to provide good faith reasons why the modification is necessary – such as showing that you obtained a new job that will increase the child’s standard of living but that impacts your scheduling availability.

What are my rights and responsibilities regarding visitation if the other parent is not complying with the current custody order in Florida?

If the other parent does not comply, do not violate the court order yourself – such as withholding child support, for instance, until your co-parent allows your visitation. Continue to follow the order and ask the court for a modification.

What are the grounds for appealing a custody or visitation order in Florida?

You typically need to show that an error was made in the case or that the arrangement is not in the child’s best interests. Appeals revolve around allegations that the law was applied incorrectly.

What is the timeline for filing an appeal in the Florida courts?

If you want to appeal, you need to move quickly. There is a 30-day deadline. That said, even if you miss the appeal, you may still be able to seek a modification based on something like the other co-parent violating the order.

Call For The Experienced Guidance You Deserve

Let’s discuss your concerns and priorities. Call my West Palm Beach today at 561-823-0650 to schedule an appointment with me. You can also use my online contact form.